OPCorp recently hacked, change your password
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw"

Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw"

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Coleslaw
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A bowl of coleslawColeslaw (or cole slaw) is a salad consisting primarily and minimally of shredded, raw, white cabbage, although it often also includes shredded carrots. There are many variations of the recipe which include the addition of other ingredients, such as red cabbage, pineapple, or apple. It is usually mixed with a dressing which traditionally consists of or is based on vegetable oil and vinegar or a vinaigrette. Most modern coleslaw contains mayonnaise or its substitutes, although many regional variations exist, and recipes incorporating prepared mustard. A variety of seasonings may be added. The dressing is allowed to settle on the blended ingredients usually for several hours before being served. The cabbage may come in finely-minced pieces, shredded strips, or small squares.

Coleslaw is generally used as a side dish eaten with foods such as barbecue, fish and chips, and other fried foods, notably fried catfish in the southern U.S. Also in this region, it is common as a sandwich ingredient, often placed on barbecue sandwiches, and on hamburgers and hot dogs along with chili and hot mustard. It is sometimes used as an ingredient in the Reuben sandwich. A variant with vinegar and oil is almost always served with pizza in Sweden.

[edit] History
Coleslaw was probably consumed in its earliest form in the times of the ancient Romans. However, modern coleslaw could not have arisen until the 18th century as mayonnaise was not yet invented. The term "cole slaw" arose in the 18th century as a partial translation from the Dutch term "koolsla", a shortening of "koolsalade", which means "cabbage salad". It was commonly called cold slaw in England until the 1860s when "cole" meaning cabbage was revived. "Cole" originates from the Latin colis meaning "cabbage", and is the origin of the Dutch word as well. In addition to calling it "coleslaw," U.S. Southerners also refer to it as "slaw." Because of this the two syllables and the establishment of "slaw" as its own word, various other kinds of "slaw" are now known, such as broccoli slaw.

[edit] Similar dishes
Cheeslaw
Chow-chow
Kimchi
Sauerkraut
Suan cai
Moo shu pork

(im not copying this and saying i made it. i got it of wikipedia people! its theres not mine!)

Last edited by on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty stop

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 pm

please stop spamming, i will create a "random stuff" forum for you to post in, stop posting in chat.

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty ??????

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:53 pm

well where else am i supposed to post my, "chat"? you hadnt made a ramdom stuf thing yet! pale Mad

Last edited by on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty Re: the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw"

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:54 pm

and thats not spam. its "interesting information on the history and makings of Cole Slaw". Suspect

Last edited by on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty right...spam

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:07 pm

right......in my book it is spam, and your ranodm fprum is nnow up

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty >:(

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:06 pm

><
- Well your book Is Wrong!

elephant

Back to top Go down

the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw" Empty Re: the Wikipedia definition of "ColeSlaw"

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down